Vocational Nursing (Certificate & Associate Degree programs available)
In the VN Certificate program we teach both clinical and theory components to prepare graduates to pass the NCLEX-PN licensing exam and work as a generalist Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN). In the Associate Degree VN (ASVN) program we include the same General Education and Science courses required in our multiple-entry RN Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program. (1)
Unitek College offers certificate and associate degree programs in Vocational Nursing. Our intensive vocational nursing programs teach both clinical and theory components to prepare the graduate of Vocational Nursing Certificate Program to take the NCLEX-PN licensing exam, and work as a generalist Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN). As part of Unitek College’s multiple entry RN program, the Vocational Nursing program is also the first year of our 2 Stage Associate Degree Nursing - ADN program. (1)
Alumni of our Vocational Nursing programs receive priority during their qualification process for our Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN program. This gives them a significant advantage over VN graduates from other schools. Among VN private schools in the bay area, Unitek College is the only private school with a Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN program, and we have very limited seating. Therefore, Unitek College is a great choice for those who want to keep progressing in their nursing career. (2)
What is the Enrollment Process?
In order to be considered for enrollment, the following must be completed:
Prospective students must:
- Successfully Complete a Career Planning session and Admissions interview
- Pass the CPAT exam with a passing score of 45 for English, 45 for Language and 45 for Math.
- Complete Admissions Interview
- Complete Admissions application
- Be Accepted to the school
- Complete and Sign Enrollment Agreement
- Complete Financing arrangements and all documents related to obtaining an official award letter for Federal Student Aid*
What's the job outlook for a Licensed Vocational Nurse?
According to U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, Employment of LPNs is expected to grow by 21 percent between 2008 and 2018. This growth is much faster than the average for all occupations, and is in response to the long-term care needs of an increasing elderly population and the general increase in demand for healthcare services. (Source: www.bls.gov). Replacement needs will also be a major source of job openings, as current VNs retire.
Licensed Vocational Nursing Job Duties
LPNs assess and monitor their patients, report adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and gather information from patients including their health history and how they are currently feeling. In some states, LPNs are permitted to administer prescribed medicines, start intravenous fluids, and provide care to ventilator-dependent patients. They may use this information to complete a plan of care for a specific patient in long term care; to complete insurance forms, pre-authorizations, and referrals; and to work with the interdisciplinary team to help determine the best course of care for a patient. LPNs often teach family members how to care for a relative or teach patients about good health habits. VNs supervise nursing assistants and aides.
Campuses Offering the Vocational Nursing Program
- San Jose (Satellite Campus of Fremont)
- Sacramento (Sacramento’s MA class is offered M-Th 8 am– 1pm)
Gainful Employment DisclosureGainful Employment disclosure related to this program can be read in our Vocational Nursing Program Gainful Employment Disclosure page.
*Financial Loans available for those who qualify.
**Based on other schools program offerings in June 2012.
(1) Admission to, or graduation from, our Vocational Nursing programs do not guarantee obtaining a license to practice nursing. Licensure requirements are set by the State Boards of Nursing.
(2) Completion of a Vocational Nursing Program at Unitek College does not guarantee acceptance into Unitek College’s Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN Associate’s Degree program.