Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN Program
Unitek College's Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN Program, aims to enable licensed vocational nurses to advance their career and become registered nurses (RNs). Our Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN Program allows LVNs to build on the credit they received for coursework completed during licensed practical or licensed vocational nursing training from an accredited and licensed program in the state of CA. Pass rates for Board of Registered Nursing - BRN - http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/passrates.shtml
- What is the Enrollment Process?*
- What's the job outlook for a Registered Nurse?
- Registered Nurse Job Duties
- Registered Nurse Class Outline & Schedule
- Required Pre-Requisite Courses
- Credit Granting for LVN Education
- Teas Admissions Exam Information
What is the Enrollment Process?*
In order to be considered for enrollment, the following must be completed:
- Complete Admissions application
- Complete form for Authorization of Background Check
- Achieved a passing composite TEAS Version 5 exam with a requisite combined score of 62%.
- 30 Unit Candidate- must complete a National Benchmark Proctored Exam in order to be considered for admission into the LVN-to-RN ADN Transition Program (this exam will be administered at Unitek College you must sign up for a session)
STEP 2A: Financial Pre-Qualification Check**
STEP 2B: Submission of all the following documentation (due before start of RNSG200 Transition Course):
- Provide proof of high school diploma or equivalent by providing official transcript or GED certificate
- Provide Sealed Official transcripts as proof of completion from a licensed Vocational Nursing program, demonstrating a "C" or 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or better in all courses
- Provide Sealed Official transcripts from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA "C" or 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for every pre-requisite course
- Provide a copy of an active license as a California Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Proof of Basic Life Support as Healthcare Provider certification by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
- Proof of IV Certification
- Provide a typed personal statement no more than 2 pages, Double Spaced, 12pt font. "Why do you want to be a Registered Nurse?"
- Completed LVN to RN Physical Examination Form
- Photo ID
- Provide proof of employment and in what capacity (optional).
- Provide the following (due the Friday prior to the start of the LVN to RN Transition CORE Program)
- Proof of Immunizations or titers (Description provided)
Registered Nurse Alumni
STEP 3: Enrollment into the RNSG 200, Transition Course for LVN to RN Program
STEP 4: Interview with Program Director or designee.
STEP 5: Successful completion of RNSG 200, Transition Course for LVN to RN Program,
STEP 6: Upon completion of all admission requirements, the admission committee will review each individual student package and the student will be notified of admission status to the LVN to RN Transition (Core) program. If admitted, enrollment and financial documents need to be finalized.
What's the job outlook for a Registered Nurse?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) currently projects that employment of registered nurses is expected to grow by 22 percent from 2008 to 2018, which is much faster than the average for all other occupations. Registered nurses (RNs) constitute the largest healthcare occupation, with 2.6 million jobs. About 60 percent of RN jobs are in hospitals; the Institute of Medicine Future of Nursing Report (2011) states that one of the fastest growing area for RN jobs will be in the community including (but not limited to) home health, hospice and clinics.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses (RNs) work to promote good health and prevent illness. RNs treat patients, educate patients and the public about various medical conditions, and provide advice and emotional support to patients' family members. RNs record patients' medical histories and symptoms, help perform diagnostic tests and analyze results, operate medical machinery, administer treatment and medications, and help with patient follow-up and rehabilitation. RNs teach patients and their families how to manage their illnesses or injuries, explain post-treatment home care needs, create and recommend diet, nutrition, and exercise programs, and self-administration of medication and physical therapy. (Adapted from Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition).
Registered Nurse Class Outline
LVN to RN Associate Degree Program
|First Semester||TOTAL UNITS|
|RNSG 232 - Foundations I||1.5|
|RNSG 234 - Nursing Across the Lifespan I/Theory Course||5.0|
|RNSG 235 - Nursing Across the Lifespan I/Clinical Course||3.0|
|RNSG 238 - Mental Health Nursing/Theory Course||2.0|
|RNSG 239 - Mental Health Nursing/Clinical Course||1.5|
|Second Semester||TOTAL UNITS|
|RNSG 244 - Nursing Across the Lifespan I/Theory Course||5.0|
|RNSG 245 - Nursing Across the Life Span II/Clinical Course(Advanced Clinical)||4.0|
|RNSG 246 - Foundation II: Professional Development||2.0|
|RNSG 247- Clinical Leadership||3.0|
Required Pre-Requisite Courses
The Required pre-requisite courses are:
|Pre-Requisites (For ADN Program)||TOTAL UNITS|
|English, Reading and Composition (College Level)||3.0|
|Psychology: General Psychology||3.0|
|Sociology or Cultural Anthropology Course||3.0|
|Math (College Level): Intermediate Algebra or higher||3.0|
|Microbiology with Lab||4.0|
|Public Speaking or Speech (Speech or communications course)||3.0|
|Human Anatomy with Lab||4.0|
|Human Physiology with Lab||4.0|
|RNSG200: Transition Course Proposed Offerings ***||3.5|
|Pre-Requisites (For 30 Unit Option)||TOTAL UNITS|
All pre-requisite courses must meet the baseline criteria of general education criteria for the California State University system (CSUs); i.e. all pre-requisite courses must be transferable to the CSUs
Please Note - *A transcript MUST be provided for the above pre-requisite PRIOR to admission and will only be accepted from an accredited institution that is approved by the US Department of Education.
*** This course is only offered at Unitek College.
The LVN to RN Transition Associate Degree Program builds on the VN core curriculum. Successful completion of an approved VN program is required to receive credit units required for the Associate of Science Degree in Nursing.
|Vocational Nursing Core Courses|
|Phamacology - Basic||2|
|Med Surg I - Theory||1|
|Med Surg I - Clinical||2|
|Med Surg II - Theory||1.5|
|Med Surg II - Clinical||2.5|
|Obstetrics-Maternity Nursing - Theory||0.5|
|Obstetrics-Maternity Nursing - Clinical||0.5|
|Pediatrics Nursing - Theory||0.5|
|Pediatrics Nursing - Clinical||0.5|
|COURSE DESCRIPTION||TOTAL UNITS|
CREDIT GRANTING FOR PREVIOUS EDUCATION (Students may request credit granting for previously taken nursing or college courses). If official transcripts are not submitted at the time of the application, student forfeits the opportunity to apply for credit granting on courses taken previously.
The following core courses are required to be taken at Unitek College (32.5 Units):
|SEMESTER 1||TOTAL UNITS|
|RNSG 232 - Foundations 1***||1.5|
|RNSG 234 - Nursing Across the Lifespan - Theory||5|
|RNSG 235 - Nursing Across the Lifespan - Clinical||4.5|
|RNSG 238 - Mental Health/Psychiatric Nursing - Theory||2|
|RNSG 239 - Mental Health/Psychiatric Nursing - Clinical||1.5|
|SEMESTER 2||TOTAL UNITS|
|RNSG 244 - Nursing Across the Lifespan II- Theory : Individuals & Family/Complex Needs||5|
|RNSG 245 - Nursing Across the Lifespan II/Clinical Course||4|
|RNSG 246 - Foundation II: Professional Development||2|
|RNSG 247 - Foundations II: Clinical Leadership||3|
TEAS Admissions Exam Information
TEAS Admissions exam
- Unitek College accepts a composite passing score of 62% on the TEAS exam on version 5 for entrance to the LVN to RN program.
- The Exam can take up to 3.5 hours depending on students work pace. Please allow enough time on your exam day to complete the exam.
- Students should aim to receive the highest possible exam score as it does factor into the program admissions process.
Upcoming Test Dates
You must reserve a seat before attending, please call our main Unitek College healthcare line at 888-735-4355, to reserve your seat today.
|Saturday, May 7, 2016||Fremont||10:00 AM - 2:00 PM|
|Friday, May 20, 2016||Fremont||4:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Saturday, June 4, 2016||Fremont||10:00 AM - 2:00 PM|
|Wednesday, June 15, 2016||Fremont||4:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Thursday, July 7,2016||Fremont||4:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Saturday, July 30, 2016||Fremont||10:00 AM - 2:00 PM|
|Thursday, August 4,2016||Fremont||4:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Saturday, August 20, 2016||Fremont||10:00 AM - 2:00 PM|
Gainful Employment DisclosureGainful Employment disclosure related to this program can be read in our Registered Nurse Bridge - LVN to RN Gainful Employment Disclosure page.
If you qualify for the Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Sub & Unsub), please be aware that the federal government charges a loan fee. The Federal Direct Stafford Loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including, but not limited to, income-based repayment (IBR) and income-contingent repayment (ICR) plans, and loan forgiveness benefits, which other student loans are not required to provide; and Federal Direct Stafford Loans are available to students regardless of income.
Private student loans are not federal student loans. Private loans are credit based and may have, either, a variable or fixed interested rate. Private student loans can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions. Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees; students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with the private student loan before accepting the private loan. The student should contact the lender of the private student loan if they have any questions about the private student loan. The private student loan interest rate may depend on the borrower's credit rating. The student has the ability to choose any lender.
*Enrollment process is complex and changes often please check with your admissions representative
*Financial Loans available for those who qualify.