Frequently Asked Questions

Unitek College has the answers to your questions, click on any of the questions below to see the answer to your Financial Aid Questions. If you don't see the answers you're looking for please call us today at 888-735-4355 or email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

1. What types of financial aid are available?

Unitek College participates in the Federal Stafford loan, Parent loan, Pell Grant, and multiple alternative loan programs. We are also an eligible institution for Workforce Investment Act (WIA) funds as well as other outside agency funding, tribal funding and scholarships.

Back to Top

2. How do students apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at We use the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal, state and private grants and loans. Even if you think you may not be eligible, we encourage everyone to apply. Please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible!

Back to Top

3. How is eligibility determined?

The amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive will be based on:

  • Your FAFSA results
  • The number of credits you are registered for
  • The amount of financial aid money available
  • Criteria for individual programs Nearly all aid programs require you to be registered for a minimum of 12 credits.

Back to Top

4. Am I required to report my parent's tax information on the FAFSA?

You are required to report your parent's information on the FAFSA unless you meet one of the following criteria:

  • At least 24 years old
  • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • In a graduate program (MBA)
  • Married
  • Have dependents for whom you provide at least half of their support
  • An orphan or ward of the court or were until the age of 18

Back to Top

5. My parents are divorced. How does this affect my financial aid?

Financial aid is based on the income of the parent with whom the student lives. If that parent has remarried, the income of the stepparent is also taken into consideration in accordance with federal regulations. If you do not live with either parent, you should report the income of the parent that last provided at least half of your support or with whom you last lived.

Back to Top

6. What if my financial situation has changed since I last filed my taxes?

If you have had a reduction in your income due to a job loss, job change, divorce, separation or death, you may be eligible to apply for a professional judgment income reduction. Original tax information must always be reported on the FAFSA. Once you have filed the FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional paperwork

  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program.
  • You must have a high school diploma, GED, State equivalency certificate.

Back to Top

7. What Private Education Loans are available?

Unitek College does not endorse or recommend any particular Private Education Loan lenders, and does not engage in any Preferred Lender Arrangement. However, Unitek College does make available this comprehensive list of Private Education Loan lenders who have lent to Unitek College students in the past 3 to 5 years:

Sallie Mae

Wachovia Bank of Delaware, N.A.

Bank of America

Comerica Bank

If you qualify for the Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Sub & Unsub), please be aware that the federal government charges a loan fee. The Federal Direct Stafford Loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including, but not limited to, income-based repayment (IBR) and income-contingent repayment (ICR) plans, and loan forgiveness benefits, which other student loans are not required to provide; and Federal Direct Stafford Loans are available to students regardless of income.

Private student loans are not federal student loans. Private loans are credit based and may have, either, a variable or fixed interested rate. Private student loans can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions. Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees; students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with the private student loan before accepting the private loan. The student should contact the lender of the private student loan if they have any questions about the private student loan. The private student loan interest rate may depend on the borrower's credit rating. The student has the ability to choose any lender.