Congratulations on making it through another year, and here’s to a whole new year of possibilities! If you’re one of the thousands of Unitek College students headed to classes this January, you’re already working towards one of those possibilities—the prospect of a new career—and while you may already have a list of New Year’s resolutions stuck to your fridge, we wanted to offer a few additional ideas for consideration. To help make this year’s studies a success, here are our top seven New Year’s resolutions for hard-working students.
- Stay Ahead Of Schedule – The hardest time to course correct is when you’re already running behind on projects and homework, so make it a point today to get ahead and stay ahead of your class work. There may be penalties for turning in work late, but there’s nothing at all wrong with finishing a project a few days early. Make proper scheduling a habit now, and you’ll thank yourself towards the end of the year.
- Make A Budget – Financial stress has a way of eclipsing everything else in your life, and it can sap a lot of the energy and focus you could be putting towards your classes. Put a budget together at the beginning of the year and make it a resolution to stick to it. You’ll breathe a lot easier when you know exactly what’s in the bank.
- Stay Hydrated – This one may seem like it’s out of left field, but stick with us: proper hydration is directly linked to keeping your brain functioning at the levels you need for your classes. But drinking the correct amount of water is something you’ll need to make a habit, otherwise it’s easy to forget. Make a resolution to get those necessary glasses of water down every day, and you’ll thank us for it!
- Make Your Bed Every Day – This may seem like another strange one, but there’s a great reason behind it. According to Navy Admiral William H. McCraven, “If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task, and another, and another. And by the end of the day that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed.” (You can see his entire speech here.)
- Works Towards Your Career – Working towards graduation is great, but it’s what happens after graduation that can turn your Unitek College certification into a new career. Approach every class with that dream job in mind—ask questions, pay extra attention to the information you feel like you’ll use regularly, and don’t let a single day of classes go to waste.
- Make a Friend in Every Class – Not only is this a good resolution for your social life, but you also gain an ally in your quest for graduation. Having connections in each class means having someone you can rely on for missed notes, study questions, help with projects. It also means building connections for the future—once you’ve locked down that Unitek College certification, the more friends you have in your chosen career field, the more job opportunities you’ll be able to find.
- Enjoy The Ride – Make it a resolution to enjoy every day of your journey. Some days will be harder than others, but you never get to live the same day twice. Find the joy in what you’re learning, and chances are, you’ll find the same joy in your future career.
Did you make a resolution to find a new career, to go back to school, or just to learn a new skill? Check out the many programs Unitek College offers in 2016, and if you see any you like, give us a call!