Are you looking for Medical Assistant schools in San Jose? Before you make a decision, we’d like to tell you a little more about Unitek College and our San Jose Campus. We’ve put together a detailed list of facts for aspiring Medical Assistants in the Bay Area. The first half of the list focuses on the San Jose Campus while the second half focuses on our Medical Assistant program.
Read on for a combination of helpful facts!
Ten Facts About Unitek’s MA Program and the San Jose Campus
1. Accredited Campus: Unitek’s campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education. It’s important to pick a school that you feel is trustworthy!2. Campus Size and Location: The San Jose Campus is located 25 miles from the Fremont main campus and occupies approximately 28,000 square feet—to give you some perspective, that’s the size of a few mansions—with 9 classrooms, 9 labs, a library, a student lounge, and faculty offices.
3. Campus Schedule: This can vary by department, but generally speaking, the hours of operation at our San Jose Campus adhere to the following times…
- Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 10:50 pm
- Saturday testing by appointment only
- Sunday closed
4. Housing Rates in San Jose: Of course this can also vary, but the availability and approximate costs of a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment near our facilities have been listed below!
- Availability: approximately 3,600 rental postings monthly
- Approximate cost: $1,800 per month
5. Class Caps for Medical Assisting: At Unitek’s San Jose Campus, class caps are utilized for Medical Assistant courses. More specifically, the classes are capped at 28 students to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard.
6. Medical Assistant Program Overview: The MA program is designed to produce a safe and competent Medical Assistant for entry-level work. Our intensive curriculum emphasizes both administrative and clinical skills. Additionally, it includes extensive instruction in medical terminology, medical office procedures, medical/clinical procedures, basic anatomy and physiology, and special duties common in the field.
7. Classroom and Lab Environment: Medical Assisting students at our San Jose Campus will have access to fully-equipped labs that simulate office and clinic settings. Among other devices, students will find the following lab equipment: microhematocrit centrifuge, blood and urine centrifuge, pulse oximeter, electrocardiogram machine, glucose meters, autoclave machine, a hemoglobinmeter, and so much more.
8. Courses and Hours for the MA Program: After the successful completion of all on-campus instruction, students are scheduled for a full time, supervised externship. It’s important to note that students must complete all on-campus instruction to be eligible for the externship, and they are required to complete 150 hours of outside-class assignments/projects throughout the program.
9. Educational Objectives & Corresponding Occupation: Successful graduates of the MA program will be prepared to gain employment as Medical Assistants. After receiving Medical Assistant training at Unitek, they will be equipped with the necessary skillset to perform various administrative and clinical tasks. These include but are not limited to the following…
- Administrative functions: answering phones, scheduling appointments, greeting patients, updating and filing patient charts, ordering supplies, arranging for hospital admission and laboratory services, and handling billing or bookkeeping tasks.
- Clinical functions: relaying prescriptions to a pharmacy, collecting and preparing laboratory specimens, sterilizing medical instruments, preparing patients for x-rays, taking electrocardiograms, removing sutures, and changing dressings.
10. Certification Exams: Graduates of the program may be eligible to take various professional certification exams, including the NCCT exam required for the National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) credential and the American Medical Technologists (AMT) to earn the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) credential. Such credentials are not required to graduate, but may be of value depending on a student’s particular career goals.
- Note: Our faculty members are available to advise students seeking such professional certifications!
About Unitek College
Founded in 2002, Unitek College is an accredited, private institution that combines unique academic and technical specialties to provide a superior education in the areas of healthcare and nursing. We offer seven convenient facilities in California with campuses in Fremont, San Jose, Hayward, Concord, South San Francisco, Sacramento, and Bakersfield. At Unitek College, we provide healthcare career training, professional development, clinical placement, and employment assistance to its graduates.
If you would like more information, please contact one of our San Jose representatives at 800-318-1550.