Medical Assisting Training
Medical Assisting is the perfect program for people interested in helping provide care and comfort to those with medical needs. Our 9-month Medical Assisting program is designed to teach you both medical administrative and clinical procedures. In addition to learning front-office procedures and terminology, you'll be ready to prepare patients for examinations. Ask your admissions representative about our morning and evening schedules.
- What is the Enrollment Process?
- What’s the job outlook for a Medical Assisting?
- Medical Assisting Job Duties
- Where do Medical Assistants Work?
- Medical Assisting Class Outline and Schedule
- Campuses Offering the Medical Assisting Program
What is the Enrollment Process?
In order to be considered for enrollment, the following must be completed:
Prospective students must:
- Successfully Complete a Career Planning session and Admissions interview
- Pass the Scholastic Level Exam (SLE) with the required passing score
- Complete Admissions application
- Complete and Sign Enrollment Agreement
- Complete Financing arrangements and if applicable, all documents related to obtaining an official award letter for Federal Student Aid*
Medical Assisting Graduate
What’s the job outlook for a Medical Assistant?
The Medical Assisting field is growing at an above average rate, as it is expected to increase by 29% between 2012 and 2022 (Source - Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm). This growth is attributed by BLS to the growth of an aging population. As the baby-boom population ages it will continue to spur demand for preventive medical services, which are often provided by physicians. As their practices expand, physicians will hire more assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties, allowing the physicians to see more patients.
Medical Assisting Job Duties
Medical assistants answer telephones, schedule appointments, greet patients, update and file patient charts, order supplies, arrange for hospital admission and laboratory services, handle billing, collections, and bookkeeping.
Clinical duties vary according to state law and may include taking medical histories and recording vital signs, preparing patients for examination and assisting the physician during the examination. Medical assistants may also telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, and sterilize medical instruments. In addition, Medical assistants are often responsible for preparing patients for x-rays, taking electrocardiograms, removing sutures and dressing changes. Medical assistants should not be confused with physician assistants who examine, diagnose, and treat patients under the direct supervision of a physician.
Where do Medical Assistants work?
Medical assistants find employment in a variety of settings including:
- Physician offices
- Private health care facilities
- Industrial firms requiring health care personnel
- Hospital clinics
- Health industry providers
- Independent clinics private duty
Medical Assisting Class Outline
- Learn industry-specific knowledge in the following areas to apply in your new career:
- Medical Assisting Job Opportunities, History of Medicine, Medical Practice System, Medical Ethics, Medical Law
- Communicating with Patients and Colleagues, Patient Reception, Effective Medical Office Telephone Techniques
- Gain the foundational knowledge and practical understanding needed for assisting in:
- Patient Assessment, Primary Physical Exams, Principles of Pharmacology, Orthopedic Medicine, Dermatology Medicine
- Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine, Endocrine Medicine, Office Emergencies
- Otorhinolaryngology Medicine, Ophthalmology Medicine, Neurology Medicine, Gastroenterology Medicine, Urology and Male Reproduction Medicine
- OB/GYN Exams, Pediatric Exams, Geriatric Exams
- Gain job-specific as well as transferal skills in:
- Written Communications and Record Keeping Computer, Filing Methods and Record Keeping, Coding and Claims, Phone skills, and Peg Boards.
- Put what you learn to use in the real world during your Medical Assisting Externship!
Campuses Offering the Medical Assisting Program
- San Jose
- Sacramento (Sacramento's Medical Assisting class is offered Monday through Thursday from 8am-1pm)
Gainful Employment DisclosureGainful Employment disclosure related to this program can be read in our Medical Assisting Program Gainful Employment Disclosure page.
If you qualify for the Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Sub & Unsub), please be aware that the federal government charges a loan fee. The Federal Direct Stafford Loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including, but not limited to, income-based repayment (IBR) and income-contingent repayment (ICR) plans, and loan forgiveness benefits, which other student loans are not required to provide; and Federal Direct Stafford Loans are available to students regardless of income.
Private student loans are not federal student loans. Private loans are credit based and may have, either, a variable or fixed interested rate. Private student loans can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions. Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees; students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with the private student loan before accepting the private loan. The student should contact the lender of the private student loan if they have any questions about the private student loan. The private student loan interest rate may depend on the borrower's credit rating. The student has the ability to choose any lender.
Unitek College's Concord campus has applied for, but not yet received, accreditation or approval from the following agencies:
- ACCSC (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges)
- BPPE (Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education)
- BVNPT (Board of Vocational Nursing & Psychiatric Technicians)
The new Concord campus is currently not accredited and is not approved to participate in any Federal Financial Aid programs.
*Financial Loans available for those who qualify.